Sunday, August 29, 2010

Finally, Buttons in Frames



After ages and ages, I'm ready to show you my best antique buttons in their frames.



I'd bought some old vintage frames at a thrift store last year, and I'd even painted them a lovely antique silver way back in the spring, but I didn't get around to putting them all together until mid-June, didn't hang them on the wall until July, and hadn't taken photos until this week-end. For shame!



I've sewed them onto handmade paper, layered with poster board, though I may re-do them at a later date with crisp, white linen.



The three matching round frames hold the mother-of-pearl and shell buttons, mostly from the Victorian era.



The long, rectangular frame has the vegetable ivory buttons, most of which are probably from the 1930's and 1940's. Gorgeous!



They make me happy every time I walk past them in the hall.

I still have a box of old glass buttons, as well as some metal ones and copious amounts (an understatement) of plastic. More projects, for another time...

On the needles at the moment is the Vixen Shawl available through KnitPicks.



I'm working it in Zauberball Lace weight in the colourway called cranberries. It's extremely vivid, but should be good and bright for those dreary winter months that are ahead. I may have to add a repeat or two of the pattern, as the pattern calls for fingering weight, not lace weight, but we shall see...

3 comments:

Unknown said...

The buttons look wonderful as does the shawl!

Ambermoggie, a fragrant soul said...

what a great way to display them and I love the shawl. I've made 2 Vixen and toying with spinning some more yarn for a third once I've finished my second Shaelyn

martiangirl said...

i love the buttons and the colour of yarn.

my verification word is atopi. cool huh?