Friday, April 26, 2013

All Through the Winter - Part One


I'm awake!

Well, it's hard to believe, but this is my first post of the year.  I've been hibernating - waiting for the snow to melt.  It's been a very long winter in these parts and I'm really, really glad it's over.

I've been busy knitting, of course, and have lots and lots of projects to share.

There have been three new, little ones born.  In January, a wee boy named Zachary was born.  A brother to A.J. (he who received this sweater and booties nearly two years ago).  I chose my favourite baby sweater pattern, the Scottie Cardi.


 
I had been in a deep funk through the autumn and winter and dragged my feet getting this cardi started, as a result my favourite yarn was sold out in the cream colour, so I had to resort to using what was available in the correct colour and gauge.  As a result I had to use an acrylic yarn.  Yes, I know - shameful!  However, it will wash and wear like iron, and it looks adorable.  I made the three month size - I know, I know, that's also a no-no!  My thinking was that wee Zachary and little A.J. would be fitting their respective knits at the same time, and Zachary will still get the hooded cabled number as a hand-me-down.

Born in February was Jackson, another wee boy, born to my son's guitar teacher Stephen and his girlfriend.  I've never met the girlfriend, in fact, I don't even know her name, but I didn't let that stop me from knitting away!


I chose a vintage knitting pattern by Pinguoin, published back in the 1980's - probably around the time the parents of this wee one would have been born.  It was a called "Classic Cardigan" in the magazine, it's knit in alternately rows of stocking stitch and garter stitch, with a contrasting edge.  The cardi is worked in Berroco Vintage DK in the Delphinium colourway, and is edged with Sublime Yarns Baby Cashmere Merino Silk in the colour 245 - an acid mustard sort of shade. 

What?  You don't think acid mustard is a good baby shade?!

Well, too bad, I made a hat to match.



The third little one to be born is going to get her own post, stay tuned - possibly tomorrow!

Also off the needles this winter, a pair of socks.  The pattern is Mojo  (that's a Ravelry link, it may not open if you're not a member), worked in Lang Yarns Jawoll Magic 6-fach, in a vivid pastel colourway.  These socks look quite kooky, they're worked in a series of alternating bands of ribbing and stocking stitch/garter stitch rings.  They're suppose to be mismatched like that - they are surprisingly comfortable.  I've been wearing them around the house when it's cold outside (that's been most of this winter and ALL of this spring).


Also off the needles, though nowhere near finished is a surprise....


Hmmmm.....what could it be?

Let's enjoy Belle and Sebastian while they're still awake...


1 comment:

martiangirl said...

YAAAAAYYYY UPDAAATE!!! Babies! awesome! Those socks look great! my verification word is "theaqui and", it knows its me!!