Sunday, August 4, 2013

A Knitted Wedding Gift


In honour of Elly and Steve's wedding I knit a sweet, sentimental pillow for their wee home.  It's a pattern from the book Knitalong:  Celebrating the Tradition of Knitting Together by Larissa Brown, called The Pillow of Sei Shonagon.  Instead of knitting with the required linen, I chose Bourette de Soie by Pingouin, a chalky, nubbly silk in a natural colour.  After knitting a large eyelet rectangle, you write out a poem (or in this case, song lyrics) in ink, then cut the cotton into long strips and weave them through the eyelet holes.



I chose lyrics from the Belle and Sebastian song, Asleep on a Sunbeam, which are as follows:

When the half light makes for a clearer view  
Sleep a little more if you want to But restlessness has seized me now, it's true  
I could watch the dreams flicker in your eyes  
Lyin' here asleep on a sunbeam I wonder if you realize you fascinate me so
Think about a new destination If you think you need inspiration  

Roll out the map and mark it with a pin 
I will follow every direction Just lace up your shoes while I'm fetchin' a sleepin' bag, a tent 
Another summer's passing by
All I need is somewhere I can feel the grass beneath my feet 

A walk on sand, a fire, I can warm my hands My joy will be complete
I thought about a new destination I'm never short of new inspiration  
Roll out the map and mark it with the gin  
Made my plans to conquer the country I'm waiting for you to get out of your situation  
With your job and with your life
All I need is somewhere I can feel the grass beneath my feet  
A walk on sand, a fire, I can warm my hands My joy will be complete
Another summer's passin' by  
All I need is somewhere I can feel the grass beneath my feet  
A walk on sand, a fire, I can warm my hands My joy will be complete
A good song to represent setting off on an adventure together, yes?

After the wedding, Nigel and Ian had jetted off to Toronto and Chicago to see various concerts, one of which was Belle and Sebastian.  Nigel had suggested rather than giving the pillow to Elly and Steve, he should instead take it to the concert and heave it onto the stage for Stuart and the rest of the band.  I considered it briefly, but decided against it.  Maybe I should send them a link to my blog...

The band never made a video for this song, but someone uploaded the music.  Have a listen!



1 comment:

Jane said...

oh that's so sweet and romantic!!! I saw one of your photos on Flickr and was admiring it even before this blog. I'm very impressed at how beautiful the handwritten sections are. You have the right kind of writing!!! I thought at first that you had bought ribbon with writing already on it.