Saturday, September 22, 2007

Autumn Begins




Everything is beginning to accelerate on the Canadian Prairie. Summer swings into autumn swiftly, and this year seems particularly quick. The photo above is a neighbour's tree, an Amur Maple I think. It turns the most stunning shade of red/pink/orange.

These tomatoes were harvested from my tiny garden just two weeks ago, and now the leaves are already turning on the trees, unbelievable.



They were made into a fantastic salad (the tomatoes, please, not the leaves). I meant to take a photo, but it went a little too fast. The recipe comes from Martha Stewart's Everyday Foods July/August 2005. I'll give you my variation here:

3 tbsp red-wine or white-wine vinegar
3 tbsp olive oil
2 tsp capers, chopped
2 tbsp minced red onion
2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved or quartered, depending on their size
salt and pepper

Combine first four ingredients and pour over tomatoes. Let sit at room temperature for half an hour, so flavours can mingle. This recipe is very yummy, and basic too. Summer garden tomatoes are best left fairly simple I think.

I've finally completed that first sleeve on the Tangled Yoke Cardigan. In a continuation of the mental block I'm having with this project, I knit too far, by about two inches, in fact. However, I knit back and started the next sleeve. Hooray!

No comments: